What Employers can do for Carers Week 2012
18-24th June - In sickness and health
Last year there were over 5,000 activities during Carers Week, making this the largest and most diverse awareness week in the UK.
Carers Week 2012, with the theme of 'In sickness and health', will take place from 18-24th June and thousands more activities are being planned. Carers Week provides an ideal opportunity for you to highlight caring issues in your workplace and how you are supporting – or seeking to support - the 1 in 7 carers in your workplace.
Organise activities and raise awareness
Employers organise activities during Carers Week in all sorts of ways, ranging from big to small. Any one of the following activities can help to raise awareness among employees and managers in your workplace:
- Arrange an information stand or information point in the workplace with advice, and/or leaflets available
- Include a talk on caring as part of an existing event or activity which may be taking place that week (e.g. at a diversity or heath and well being event)
- Hold a specific talk on caring, e.g. a short lunchtime talk followed by Q&A and/or a drop in session
- Organise an awareness raising event on caring and related issues, e.g. a morning or afternoon event including speakers on related topics
- Make information on caring issues and support available in the workplace on the staff intranet and/or hard copy information for employees
- Introduce - or raise the profile of - a workplace Carers Champion during Carers Week
Tips for planning a Carers Week event/activity:
- Decide what you want to achieve, such as raising awareness, reaching out to 'hidden carers', finding out what support carers need in the workplace, or highlighting the support that you provide as an employer
- Involve employees with caring responsibilities, where known/possible, to help ensure that the activity will resonate with other carers
- Check that the proposed date of your activity doesn't clash with any other key events in the workplace which may attract carers, for example events on work life balance issues, disability or health and wellbeing
- Check the Carers Week website www.carersweek.org for more information and how to obtain Carers Week promotional materials
- After the event, communicate the fact within your workplace that it took place, what it involved and who participated - this will help to ensure that awareness is raised further among employers and managers who couldn't attend
- Contact Employers for Carers at email@example.com or 020 7378 4956 about your event so that they can keep other members informed/put you in touch, if helpful, with other members who may be planning similar activities.
Join the growing family of companies...
That help their employees through working with My Family Care. Get in touch to find out how we can make work+family work for you.